Constitution & Rules of the Club
1. The club shall be known as the Houghton and Wyton Bowls Club. Its object shall be to promote the game of bowls at all levels, providing opportunity for recreation and competition.
2. Subject to payment of appropriate fees, membership shall be available 48 hours after the date of the application, to all persons over 9 years of age, regardless of race, gender or disability. Membership is defined as Full (Playing), Junior (9 to 18 years of age), Social (Non Playing) and Honorary Life.
3. The officers of the Club shall be a President, Chairperson, Secretary and Treasurer.
4. The management committee shall comprise the officers, plus the Men’s Captain, Ladies’ Captain, Friendlies Captain, Internal Club Competition Secretary, Greenkeeper, Millicent Childs Captain, Bar Manager and 1 additional elected member. The Chairperson may co-opt additional members as necessary, to assist the committee.
5. That the Men’s, Ladies’ and Millicent Childs captains elected at the AGM be the team captains of the highest placed team in their relevant League and that these captains be responsible for the appointment of the B and C teams in their League via a democratic decision with eligible players.
6. An Annual General Meeting (AGM) shall be held during the month of November each year on a date, time and at a place determined by the committee. Notice of the AGM with the agenda must be given to all members at least 14 days prior to the meeting. All members are entitled to vote at the AGM. A quorum for an AGM shall be 35% of the membership, including 2 officers of the Club. If less than the required number is present, the Secretary will re-convene the meeting to be held not more than 14 days later.
7. The Chairperson may call for an Extraordinary General Meeting (EGM) if an urgent issue of vital importance to the Club arises and which falls outside the remit of the Committee. The Secretary can also convene an EGM if a request for such a meeting is received in writing and signed by at least 10 members.
8. Any proposed changes to the Constitution & Rules of the Club must be approved by at least two-thirds of the members attending a quorate AGM or EGM. Non constitutional decisions made at an AGM shall be by a simple majority vote. In the event of equal votes, the Chairperson is entitled to an additional casting vote.
9. Elected members of the committee shall serve until the next AGM when, if willing to continue, they may be re-elected to a further term of office. Members who are willing to serve on the committee need to be proposed and seconded.
10. The committee shall meet at least 4 times a year and is required to conduct and manage the routine business of the Club, to implement specific tasks placed on it by the AGM and to make executive decisions necessary for the well-being and smooth running of the Club. A quorum for a committee meeting shall be 5 members, including 2 officers. Decisions shall be made on the basis of a simple majority vote. In the event of equal votes, the Chairperson shall have a further casting vote. Any decisions affecting the Constitution and Rules must be ratified at the next AGM. The Committee will be responsible for promoting the Club and recruiting new members plus assisting the Secretary in the processing of New Membership applications forms and providing Club information.
11. A suitably qualified examiner shall be elected at the AGM to examine the final accounts of the Club but shall not serve on the management committee.
12. The Secretary shall
a) conduct the correspondence of the Club and maintain and have the custody of the club records.
b) ensure that the Club is insured in respect of property and public liability.
c) for AGMs, EGMs and Committee meetings, issue agendas, arrange venues and record minutes.
d) by end January each year issue membership renewal forms.
e) draw up a list of Club members and display it on the Club notice board by 1st June each year, updating as necessary throughout the season.
13. The Treasurer shall keep the accounts of the Club, handle all the Club’s financial transactions, report on the Club’s finances to each Committee meeting and submit to the AGM examined accounts up to 31st October each year. The Treasurer shall maintain current and deposit accounts on behalf of the Club at banks or building societies as directed by the management committee. Cheques for payment must be signed by the Treasurer and either the President, Chairman or Secretary. Signatories must not be close relatives.
14. All membership application forms, together with appropriate subscription and competition fees, are to be submitted to the Treasurer, who will collect the monies and then pass the forms to the Secretary for updating of records and retention.
15 The annual subscription and competition entry fees for any given season shall be as agreed by majority vote at the preceding AGM. All subscriptions and fees are to be paid by 31st March each year. Previous season members who have not paid by the Opening Weekend will be assumed to have relinquished their membership and will not be eligible to play for the club in any match or in any club or county competition.
16. Persons who are not members of the Club may be allowed to use the green on a casual basis provided the appropriate daily fees (as displayed on the Club notice board) have been paid and a member of the management committee has granted permission to ensure that the green and necessary equipment will be available for their use. All casual users must be accompanied by a Full member.
17. Children under the age of 9 years are not permitted to play on the green, junior members to be supervised or coached by a member of the club, in line with our adopted Child Protection Policy.
18. No-one is permitted to walk or play on the green unless wearing the correct footwear and smart casual or appropriate clothing, as directed by the committee, see also new dress code.
19. Club equipment shall not be removed from the club premises without the permission of the Greenkeeper or, in his absence, an officer of the Club.
20. Matches are to be played in accordance with the rules of the relevant Bowling Authority. Men’s league matches are played in accordance with the rules of The Huntingdon and District Bowls League. Club competitions are to be played in accordance with the rules of the English Bowling Association.
21. In the event of the green being required concurrently for County fixtures and League matches, the County players shall have precedence in choice of rinks.
22. At the AGM, members, or past members, of over 15 years standing may be proposed for Life membership. This honour will only be awarded if the proposal is supported by at least three quarters of the members present.
23. If at an AGM or EGM, a resolution should be passed calling for dissolution of the Club, the Secretary shall convene an EGM to be held not less than 1 month thereafter, to consider and vote on the resolution. If at least two thirds of members present support the resolution, the management committee shall, observing any dates specified in the resolution, proceed to realise the assets of the Club and discharge all debts and liabilities. Any remaining assets shall not be distributed to members of the Club but shall be given or transferred to some other voluntary organisation having objects similar to those of the Club.
24. The Club will provide and sell alcoholic beverages as per the attached Operating Manual. The provision and selling of alcoholic beverages is governed by the terms and conditions of the Club Premises Licensing Certificate, as administered and monitored by the Licensing Officers of Huntingdonshire District Council. The terms and conditions of Clauses 62 and 71 of the Licensing Act 2003 also apply.
This Constitution and Rules supercedes all previous Rules and takes effect from 1st December 2019